Saturday, August 14, 2010

Memories of Mansfield - Glendale Blvd.

Early this morning I went for a bike ride and turned right out of our driveway and continued west on Andover Rd. till it dead ends onto Woodland Rd. I turned left along Woodland Rd. and passed the up ground reservoir (they since took down the water tower), crossed Cook Rd. and continued on Woodland Rd. into South Boulevards. I passed the house where Tim Beard lived and then I turned left onto Courtwright and passed the house I think where “Daughter” lived and then passed Steve Smeltzer’s house. Down the hill I sailed then turned right into the parking lot which bordered Lexington Ave., passed what used to be McClure’s and the soda fountain, and what used to be the Tiffin & Toffee (which is now called Brunches).

I turned right onto Glendale Blvd. and climbed the rise where I passed the Mott’s house. The house where the Mishey’s lived is for sale. Then I passed our house and pleasant feelings and memories surrounded me. The house looks pretty much the same and someone added a lean-to shed structure onto the one car garage – probably for storage. Back at Woodland Rd. Glendale crosses but does not go through, into what used to be Cunning’s field – which is now an upscale subdivision. I turned left onto Woodland and rode till it dead ended into Sunset Blvd. I turned right and passed the Fire Station, then turned right onto Autumn Dr. till it met up with Glendale Blvd, in this subdivision. I think this must have been where Mike and Cousin Tim told us the “Boogey Man” lived – in a groundhog hole in the old corn field.

I passed Cunning Dr. and then came again to Cook Rd. so I turned left and rode past the old Cunning home and barn. On the barn was “E.E. Cunning 1909.” I turned right onto Trimble Rd. and rode past fields of corn and beans till I came to Marion Rd. so I turned right and rode past lush fields and then mansions of the then, Black family. Some horses were grazing in front of one of the houses in this compound. I turned right onto the beginning of Woodland Rd. and rode mostly in the shade caused by the plentiful trees. I think this is where Scott had his mishap where he wrecked his bike and had to go to the hospital where the needle was “on the bone!” I rode by several walkers, including Pat and Joyce. I rang my bell and we exchanged smiles and greetings. This is a regular occurrence for them both, and they enjoy meeting halfway – at the intersection of Davis Rd. and Bigelow Rd. and then walking through Woodland.

I continued on and then turned left onto Andover Rd, and past the Woodland Club and pool. I crossed Woodhill Rd. and then Dickson Parkway and down the hill and left into our driveway. Someone told me that Woodland used to be the Dickson Farm – circa 1900 or so. That was fun and I may write more about our exploits around our hometown. I can’t describe the feelings I have, but it feels good to be home!

4 comments:

Truman said...

Thanks for the posting, Steve. What a nice description of your bike ride. I can't remember the last time I was in that area. Mom and I used to take Aunt Petie to lunch at the Tiffin and Toffee House when we drove to Mansfield to visit her; but I have no idea when that might have been. I smiled at your recall of "Daughter", your word for Dorothy, the little sister of Bobby and Glenn, children of Bob and Carol Crawford. I think I can understand some of your feelings about being "home" again. In today's mobile society, it's rare for someone to go back and actually live in the city he or she grew up in. I know not many of those who read this blog will be able to visualize places you describe, but I'm sure those who do would like to hear more, for example, about, as you told me, having lunch at a restaurant in the building where Reed's store was.

Megan said...

Steve, this was so much fun! I brought up mapquest and followed along on your route. You live so close to Tom and Joan Ross - they are at 475 Forest Hill Rd. They moved there after Katy was married, but Whitney and I visited there a couple times when Katy and her kids were in town. I can't remember what street they lived on after they moved from Coleman Rd. - Davis Rd. maybe (I think near Lexington)? Do you remember Dad? It's not far from where they live now. We still exchange Christmas cards with the Ross'. And you mentioned Woodland Pool - I used to go there with Katy - she swam on the swim team there. I also think it's cool that Joyce and Pat walk together regularly - very neat!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting thought Megan, to pull up mapquest and follow along! Pat and I will walk past 475 Forest Hill to see where the Ross's live. And I didn't remember you swam at the Woodland Pool either. I've never swam there but I did at Linden Pool, which is now part of the Mansfield Park System.

And Dad, I'll relate our experience at the old Reed's store on a later post.

Megan said...

I swam mostly at Linden Pool also, but Katy took me to Woodland occasionally as a guest. Woodland is a pretty small pool.