Thursday, August 19, 2010

An early morning jog through Woodland

Out the door I go at 5:35am and turn left on Andover Rd. and run along till it dead ends into Overlook Rd. On the way I crossed Stewart Lane, Chevy Chase, Edgewood, and Forest Hill. Some street lights illuminate my way as well as occasional lamps from homes tucked in their yards. I turn left on Overlook and cross Davis Rd. (which is the street Woodland School is on). Between Davis Rd. and Dickson Pkwy. is a beautiful section with a few large homes, which is now almost dark.

After crossing Dickson Pkwy. I run uphill as I cross Woodhill Rd. and then pass the house some say is haunted. It is a large brick home with a turret in the front center, and the yard spans from Woodhill to Woodland Rds. It is dark here so I make my way only by the intermittent moonlight. I turn left on Woodland and jog peacefully along until I turn left onto Edgewood Rd. and follow it somewhat down a gradual incline. A couple of dogs bark at me but they stay in their yards (probably because of invisible fencing).

I arrive back at Andover so I turn right and follow it to Stewart Lane where I turn right and run by the Woodland Garden Apartments (where I am now the building manager [part-time] – oh boy, I’m the BM :) – and that’s another story. I turn left onto Dickson Pkwy. and run up the hill and turn left onto Andover.

Across the street at the corner of Andover and Dickson is an unusual home that was built I believe in the ‘20’s, and some call it the home of the future and others call it the “Westinghouse Home.” I guess when it was built, they outfitted this house with all the latest new gizmos and was completely lighted with Westinghouse bulbs and outfitted with Westinghouse appliances. Of course Westinghouse had a huge plant here in Mansfield that manufactured appliances. Pat’s Dad worked there as a Tool and Die Maker for years until he retired. (The factory is still there and much is unused and dilapidated, but someone is using parts of it as a storage facility).

I arrive back at my house and ascend the steps now barely illuminated by our solar lights along the walkway. I ran alone and saw no one except one car which passed me on Edgewood. So peaceful and invigorating at the same time, and I am grateful for the whole experience!

1 comment:

Truman said...

Another interesting posting, Steve. Your account makes the reader feel as though you had recorded your thoughts as you jogged along. I can visualize some of the places, but not others. I can see the Home of Tomorrow (that's what it was called) and remember when it was built - I think in the 30's. I knew about your BM job, but I bet that was a surprise to others. I bet you'll have experiences there you will want to share in the future.