Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I have read the 23 comments related to the Dispatch article. It took me a while to access some of them yesterday and again today. I don't know how long comments are available after the original publication date. I had wondered if someone would object to going public with such a story, and one woman did raise that question. I think it's legitimate, and one I raised very early in what I put on the web. Would Mom want me to write about her? I repeated that question to the reporter and she mentioned it in her story. I actually believe if Mom and I had ever discussed such an eventuality - one of us getting Alzheimers and the other writing about it - she would have opted for privacy. I probably would have also. But now I think differently. When people get to know more about how others deal with such things, they may be better able to deal with them, if and when their turns come. I don't believe there's any one approach that will fit all situations. I once heard a wise statement about approaching human relations problems. The speaker said to successfully treat, say a case of scarlett fever, a doctor had to know a lot about medicine, a lot about that particular disease and a lot about that particular case. He also had to know a lot about humans and a lot about that particular human. You could apply the same reasoning to a case of Alzheimers. So far, having observed behaviors of many with the disease as well as that of their loved ones, I'm sure my approach wouldn't work in some, maybe none, of the cases. If it would in one or more, writing about it is worthwhile.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I agree that it will probably be helpful to others, and is also a story that deserves to be told to a wider audience.