Friday, February 20, 2009

I asked Mom to marry me 66 years ago today. Commissioning ceremony was on the 17th at Riverside Church. She had been in New York for that and a big dance on the main deck of the USS Prairie State. We also had danced to Jimmy Dorsey's band at the Cafe Rouge of the Hotel Pennsylvania. I had orders to report to the destroyer base in San Diego. In Mansfield, before I headed west and she went back to DePauw, I asked her to marry me. She said yes and I went with my father to buy the rings. We were married at the first opportunity that presented itself after that when I had my first leave off the Aulick and she had graduated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 66 years of wedded bliss, so wonderful. I thank you both from the bottom of my heart, for bringing me into this world and for being the parents who loved me from the moment of inception, and for all time . . .

Sarah said...

Poppop, that is WONDERFUL!! (and you have an amazing memory!) I had never heard the engagement story so that was very special. Thank you for sharing it.