Sunday, January 25, 2009

This blog has realy widened family communications, although I thought it would get more action than it has. I have no idea how many read the postings and comments. Maybe the requirement to open a Google account to make comments is a deterrent, and to make an actual posting requires asking for and getting permission from me. Even so, it's been great to read the postings and see the pictures. Now there's an additional communication vehicle available - Skype. In the last few days I've talked to, saw and was seen by Robin and Ryan, Sarah and Andy (I also saw Erin) and Megan and Steve. Previously I've had other sessions with Megan and Steve, Pat and Steve and just Steve, and Mike, although his or my equipment wasn't working too well that time. For anyone else with the right equipment, I go on line every night except Saturday at 7:30 for about five minutes. To get involved, you need a webcam and the software installed on your computer. If you have a new computer, it may already have a webcam built in. Sarah's laptop does so they used it when we talked. Anyway, this a great way to communicate. Anyone interested can get information from Megan or Andy.

4 comments:

Andy Murphy said...

Anyone can download skype at this link: http://www.skype.com/ It is a fast download and install. I use this program to make calls when I travel outside the US and to talk with international colleagues. The computer to computer calls are free, and the software automatically recognizes if you have a webcam connected. You also need to know the screen name of the person you want to call (you can also find them via their e-mail address. Truman is robert.murphy24 and I am andrew.murphy7.

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Yes, Skype is great! Not only have we kept in communication with Dad at least weekly, yesterday we heard from Whitney via Skype for the first time since she's been gone. It was great to see her, and talk to her. Someone from our church first told us about Skype, and I thank God for that - it has been a blessing!
And the blog has also been something I look forward to checking regularly. Once you have it set up and saved in your favorites, it is easy to check. I just check it at the same time that I check my email. I always look forward to new postings!

Sarah said...

I check it all the time, too Megan. This has been great Poppop...I'm glad you started it. Tomorrow I'll look into the Skype thing! Lots of our military friends use it to talk to their spouse overseas.