Saturday, December 1, 2012

I was surprised this morning by a call from Mike, who said he wanted to call me on Mom's and my 69th wedding anniversary.    I told him, that at that point, I hadn't thought about it.   Maybe the reason was that I hadn't made a note on the little calender I use to remind me of all the other family birthdays and anniversaries.   My guess is that I would have remembered sometime before the day was over.   The day in Portsmouth in 1943 was much like it is here in Mansfield today - maybe a little warmer.   Mom told me later she was a little ticked off at me for not coming to see her during the morning.   I guess I had heard it was bad luck to see your bride-to-be the morning before the ceremony.   But she still said, "I do" when asked the important question.   I don't remember the last time December 1 might have meant anything to her.   It might have, even last year.   I just wasn't able to detect it.   Does it mean anything to her where she is now?    I believe so, but in a way those of us still on this earth will have to wait until we go there to fully understand.

2 comments:

Eileen and John said...

Dad,

I'm so glad that Mom said, "I do" even though she was ticked off!

steve said...

Two little words with much meaning and after saying them began a lifetime of love.

Dad and I went to the auto title place to receive his hanger to signify we can park in a handicapped spot. He noticed the woman helping us and he said she looked familiar. She looked at his name and asked, "Would you be related to Eileen Murphy?"

She was a freind of Eileen's who ran around with Janie Gilde and Kim Davis. They even stayed at Coleman Road over night with Eileen and she said they always were amazed how orderly and peaceful it was at our house. She said Mom was always wearing a dress and in the kitchen. She said it reminded her of the June and Ward Cleaver of "Leave it to Beaver" fame. She said there was no yelling at Coleman Rd. which I guess she was used to at her house? It's a small world :)