Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I read recently that Gerry Rafferty had died. I think he was 64. Most of you reading this may never have heard of him. His biggest hit was "Baker Street". Chances are that even if you didn't know the artist, you heard the music. Although the lyrics weren't especially memorable, the instrumental music was exceptional and was played many, many times on the air. Other songs of his were on "City To City", an album Megan gave me. She put part of one of them, "Right Down the Line" on what she showed at our 50th anniversary dinner. I have cassette tapes I made over the years of lots of songs from various albums, and recently have been playing some of them in Mom's room. She hasn't spoken for many months, and two lines from another Rafferty song moisten my eyes. They'll do it again as I write:
"Whatever's written in your heart, that's all that matters.
You'll find a way to say it all some day."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Jerry Rafferty and his album City to City - many nice songs. And I recall the video for your 50th anniversary - it was a great idea of Megan's. The lines you quoted are beautiful - and we can say what we want right now - even in the silence of our own hearts. The other person or people will know the loving intent and be comforted by our thoughtful words.

Scott said...

Beautiful words Dad. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

Those are beautiful words Poppop! I think it is also a reminder to me to SAY the words while we can instead of assuming someone will know. Then later when speaking may be impossible they will know because we have always said it.