Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Ruby in the Idol's eye

Tim Hollingsworth sent me an email explaining how some of his story-telling skills arose:

"I do believe by the way that I learned any story telling skills I may have from your Dad. No one told a joke better than Uncle Bob. Actually, he appreciated them about as well as anyone too. I can kind of remember Grandpa Murphy telling us stories in bed, but they all seem to begin and end with "the ruby in the idol's eye."

I sent emails to Mike, Scott and Dad and Mike didn't seem to remember these stories from Grandpa Murphy. Here is what Scott wrote:

"I definelty remember Grandpa telling stories about the ruby in the idol. He told a lot of other stories about his travels in Africa. Took a while for me to realize he had never been out of this country."

Then Dad wrote:

"I do remember "the ruby in the idol's eye", but only vaguely. My father was a great story teller. He had a wide ranging imagination, and most certainly had read adventure stories. My sister, Vivian, said she thought, until she grew older, that he was, indeed, a world traveler with many adventures. I don't actually remember much about that particular story, but I think the ruby was regarded as a "trophy" of sorts for adventurers, and he was the one who was able to sneak into wherever the idol was, avoid whoever was on guard and pry the gem loose. I wish as I grew older I had reminded him and asked him to tell me some of those stories again. As kids, sometimes the value of such stuff in our memory banks escapes us."

These stories must be like the ones Dad told us kids about the Three Big Things. I have since spun stories about the Three Big Things to my kids and also to Morgan and Anya. Now I look forward to telling them to Jack and Molly.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I was thinking of The Three Big Things also, Steve, as I read through your posting. Yes, Dad's stories were something to look forward to at bedtime! (along with songs, cards, and back scratches; oh - and chasing the scary things away!)

Sarah said...

I was thinking of being at your house (Megan) and LOVING bedtime when Poppop would come in and sing and scratch our back. (And sing "the hole in the bottom of the sea" and "Down in the Valley" Maybe that's why I love that Richard has always done bedtimes. It will be good memories for my kids too. Thanks Poppop!

Anonymous said...

I remember singing Down in the valley too, and when us three boys slept in the same room at Glendale Ave. Dad would lead us in the harmonizing. I'm not sure how good we were, but it felt good to sing our hearts away with each other. Of course the back scratches were nice too!