Monday, October 25, 2010

Hidden Hollow Camp – revisited

Pat and I took a Sunday drive on a beautiful sunny fall day down possum run road past Snow Trails for a few more miles. We turned off the road and followed the narrow road up to the top of a ridge where the camp sits. We parked in the grassy parking area and walked down the main road towards the lodge. We could see cabins on both sides of the road, down in the woods: boys on the right and girls on the left.

We arrived at the lodge and the view from there is wonderful. It sits high on a bluff overlooking more woods down below and the grounds around it are mowed grass. The pool is below the lodge to the right with its meandering sidewalk leading the way. For some reason the lodge door was open so we entered and found it mostly empty. It still looked in good shape, other than normal wear and tear, and many flies and wasps climbing on the windows.

I remember having meals there and below were the areas for many crafts and things like ping pong etc. I also attended a winter camp there over a weekend and we stayed downstairs in the lodge, with a roaring fire to keep us warm at night.

Back outside we walked down the leaf strewn path to the boys cabins. They are arranged in a semi-circle around the wash area (which is outside under a roof) and the enclosed showers and toilets. The cabins are in need of much repair, and I entered my old cabin, (Allen Knapp – but the sign was gone) and saw some old beds etc.

We returned to the car and walked up the incline to the area where they have the bonfire with logs in a circle. This is where they told the story of the ape-a-gator on the first night – real scary! Nearby is something which wasn’t here when I was – the Warren Rupp Observatory.

Pat and I reminisced on the return and I remember having a good time there during a summer of one of my junior high years. Pat went to the old camp which is now Camp Mowana, so we might take a drive out their some day to see if she can remember the layout.

2 comments:

Truman said...

Thanks for the posting, Steve. That's a nice piece of descriptive writing. My memory of Hidden Hollow is a little vague, but I could visualize some places. I don't remember who operated the camp, but I seem to remember Mr. and Mrs. Gimble (or something like that)ran the camp. I wonder who owns the area now? You didn't mention that you were chosen Mr. Hidden Hollow once. I'll probably remember more of Camp Mowana if you go there. I spent a week there when it was a Boy Scout camp. Nearby Flemings Falls is a beautiful spot.

Megan said...

Oh, what neat memories to bring back Steve! I went to Hidden Hollow for more than one summer. And didn't Eileen work there? I remember the story about the Headless Horseman, and having to take a swimming test in order to swim in the pool for the week. I also went to Camp Mowana for church camp.