Friday, September 17, 2010

Mom moved today. She lives in 213 now. Her move was less of a problem than I anticipated, but the total move was hectic with men still working in some rooms and on the two doors to make them secure. It's much nicer with her closer. I brought her over here this afternoon. She watched me check the computer for e-mail and write a condolance note to Rick, Jon and Brad Sowash. We sat outside on the covered entranceway for a while before dinner.

Polly Sowash died on the 14th. Many of you readers won't know who she was, but some will. She used to bring Bradley with her to play bridge with Mom (and other women I don't remember), and Brad and Megan would play together. The note I sent to the funeral home website:
Rick, Jon, Brad,
When I read that your mother had died, I remembered how close she and your father were and that she lived many years without him. That made me recall some words of a song by Woody Wright:
“So don’t weep for me when I cross over death’s sea.
My pain will all be gone, and I will have a brand new song to sing.
. . . .
If you get there first, I’ll join you on the second verse.
And for eternity, you and I will have a brand new song to sing.”
Those, or any other words, won’t take away your sorrow, but the thought of a brand new song may help a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the obituary in the Mansfield News Journal and didn't know Polly was a first generation American, because her parents came over from Austria. I remember the Sowash's coming over to Coleman Rd. and playing bridge with you and Mom and the Williams'.

The song you quoted is beautiful and it can bring solace if we understand that the passing from this world - onward, is a new beginning. This causes us to celebrate the life of our loved ones and raise a glass for a toast for lives well lived.

Sarah said...

So glad the move went well Poppop! I know you will enjoy having her closer.

We miss you both!