Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Not too long ago I was beginning to think interest in this web site had started to cool off, but then some real good postings appeared - quite a mixture of stuff. Fred, the horse; Scout, the dog; white water rafting; Whitney back in the US; Anya with Fred and learning to drive; Steve's new web site; Molly with great grandparents, etc. Thanks to all who have put items on line. I still don't know how many view the site regularly. There's no good way to measure that. If any of you can figure out how to do it, let me know. There aren't a lot of comments, probably because making them requires going through the word recognition, having a Google account, password etc. The site is about a year old now. I've received a couple messages about renewing the domain name, but haven't figured out if they are real or not. When Steve was here, he came to the conclusion they weren't, and the renewal would be automatic. If any of you have knowledge about this, let me know in an e-mail. I've forgotten how I set it up in the first place. I do remember I started with information Andy gave me; so, Andy, how about telling me again in an e-mail? In the meantime, keep making the postings. They have been great.

Last Thursday I was elected as president of the Resident Council of Summit's Trace Assisted Living. That should be interesting, especially at this time when the new owners have been in control since April 1, and there's a real mixed bag of opinions about how they're doing.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations Mr. President!! And YES, keep up this blog...even if I don't check every day I haven't known this much about family happenings in a LONG time!

Leigh @ Organic Mamas said...

I agree with Sarah, I love reading what is happening with everyone!

Also there is a way to view how many people view the blog everyday. www.sitemeter.com has a gadget you can install on the blog. Just go to customize and add a page element.
I don't have the ability to do it from my account otherwise I would do it for you.

Truman said...

Thanks for the tip, Leigh. I went to sitemaster, selected a codename and got an e-mail back assigning a password. But I don't understand the rest of the e-mail about HTML etc. Also, I didn't understand what you meant about "go to customize and add a page element." Don't know if you can guide me through the process, but it would be interesting to know how many view the blog everyday.

Leigh @ Organic Mamas said...

Okay, I can try to walk you through it.
I am assuming that they sent you an HTML code to put on the blog.

You will need to click the layout button under the blog name on the blogger dashboard.

You will then see the layout of the blog and there should be a button that says "Add a gadget"

A window will open and there should be an option to add HTML/Java script. Click that.

A new window will open with a title and content sections. The title section doesn't need to be filled but in the content section the html code that sitemeter sent you needs to be copied and pasted here.

Click save.

It should go back to the layout page and you should be able to view the blog from there. The sitemeter button is pretty small, it will most likely be on the right side of the page.

If you click it, it will open up a new window I beleive with your site stats.

It will also send you an email once a week giving you the stats on your sight.

I think that should be it. Let me know if you get stuck anywhere.

Off topic, we are visiting with Nate and Heather this week and he expressed interest in the blog. He would love to contribute. His email is nateanding@hotmail.com

Emily Krouse said...

I agree keep up the blog. It is always nice see what everyone is up to!

You don't have to have a google account as I use my yahoo account.

Truman said...

Leigh, Thanks, but I can't get the HTML CODE for the account. When I log into Site Meter, then select MANAGER, I don't get the account manager page but go right back to the sign-in page. That's frustrating, to say the least. I'll try again this evening or tomorrow. I'll add Nate to the list of author's

Leigh @ Organic Mamas said...

Grandpa,
I set up an account for the blog under my email for now. Please give me your email address so I can send you the html code to add to the blog. It won't let me add html code here for some reason. I can then change the email address on the account so you are the one who will recieve the stats on the blog.

Truman said...

Leigh,
e-mail address martm43@aol.com