Sunday, June 5, 2011

College...sort of


So the first great-grandchild (Hannah) of the first grandchild (Sarah) of the first child (Mike) in this family has taken off for the next 3 weeks for college. She is attending the Commonwealth Honor's Academy which takes place at Murray State in Kentucky. It is a huge honor and will keep her very busy (and she gets 6 college credits!). They even get to go to St. Louis this week (Whitney!!) to the Shakespeare festival and the Fine Arts museum. But as I was alone in her room putting the sheets on her dorm bed while she was checking in and Richard was getting luggage I got that feeling... "how did I get here?" I feel like I just made my OWN bed at college. HOW can I have one ready for this? I know next year is the REAL year but this is our test run.
I know you've all done it before me so think about me in the next 3 weeks and any advice is welcome! Prayers too!

4 comments:

Steve said...

Good luck Hannah and enjoy your time, learning and living!

Truman said...

Congratulations, Hannah. That is a great honor. Sarah, your comments reminded me again of the line from Fiddler about not remembering growing older. As far as advice is concerned, if you just do and say what comes naturally, the experience will be fulfilling and memorable for her, for Richard and for you.

Sally said...

Sarah - I made your bed that first day and was so proud of myself for not crying when we left. I sure did when I was alone at home. I really felt the same way - how did I have a little girl old enough to go to college

Megan said...

The 3 weeks are coming to a close - so how are you doing? You will certainly be excited when it's time for Hannah to come home, so enjoy that time of reunion! And she will be full of stories of her experiences and the people she's met, so that will be a lot of fun.