Monday, June 14, 2010

I'll include some of the following in dontsaygoodbye at a later time, but want to put it on the blog in the meantime. Last Friday, Earnie, the regular day-shift Resident Assistant in the 600 Corridor, gave me a sticky note with these words she had written on it:

A friend hears the song in my heart
and sings it to me when my memory fails.
Pioneer Girls
Leader's Handbook

She had seen the quote in the paper. She said, "It reminds me of you and Peg." That was such a nice thought. From now on, it will always remind me when I sing to Mom to listen to the song in her heart. Maybe I have been listening before and just didn't realize it.

Another thought. All of the RA's are, to one degree or another, angels, for whom we can be thankful. Earnie has probably spent more time with Mom than any of the other RA's. And I think she's the only one who would take notice of such a verse, write it down and give it to me. I think you'll agree that's pretty special.

3 comments:

Scott said...

That was really nice of Ernie, and very moving. I agree, the RAs are angels, very underpaid angles.

Sarah said...

WOW! I love that definition of a friend! And I'm so thankful for Earnie too! I tried to convey that to her...my words never express my heart quite adequately enough though... :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Dad. Ernie is special and we all know she cares by how she cares for Mom and also how she relates to us all. And to think she is also a fellow Mansfielder!