Monday, May 31, 2010

Concert

I don't know how many of you might have watched the National Memorial Day Concert last night. I'm sure some of you did. Once again, it was very good. The music was as good, even better, than any I remember. I had forgotten that orchestra conductor Eric Kunzel (not sure about the spelling) had died in the last year. I had heard of only two singers (Lionel Ritchie and Brad Paisley) before, but they were all top notch. Had some trouble understanding all the words that Katherine Jenkins was singing to two widows (from two different wars), but the very nature of the song was very moving. Very moving also were the views of the overseas cemeteries. To some families it has been important to have remains returned home. All those crosses reminded me that millions have thought otherwise. And the song, Mansions of the Lord, was played as we saw them. Wow! I had never heard that song before. I was prompted to look it up today, and I listened to two different versions, one at Reagan's funeral. Mom always liked watching the concert, so I missed being with her. I had left her asleep in her room at 7:30. If you've never watched the concert, near the end all veterans are asked to stand when their service song is played. She always insisted that I stand when Anchors Aweigh was played, so I did again last night.

2 comments:

Mike said...

We watched the show and also thought it was very good as well as emotional. I had to wipe my eyes several times. I was glad to see the Christian references and music. Christianity has always been the moral foundation of our country, and I'm glad this concert was unapologetic about that which has given and still gives hope and strength to countless people.

Sarah said...

Poppop, I'm SO glad you stood! We are proud of your service in the navy. I know you missed Mawmaw being there with you while you watched.